Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Be contagious...

Children are like sponges. They see & hear as if they are sporting special radar devices from the military. As a mother I have learned this can be a good thing....and not. Prime example happened about an hour ago. My husband was giving me a hug before he went to bed. He gave me a little pat on the tush, no big thing. Then we hear a quiet little voice from afar....Bridger, our  2 1/2 year old, says " he touched your buns, " giggle, giggle, giggle. No harm done, but they notice everything!!

This can work to our advantage as parents! Lead my example, be contagious. Tis the season to be giving, sharing thanks, celebrating Jesus and loving on one another unconditionally. Your children will notice, I promise. Try it. Take the extra 30 seconds to thank the grocery checker and tell them to have a Merry Christmas...really mean it...even engage in eye contact, not as you are scurrying away. Tell the gas attendant that you appreciate them. You know you would not want to pump your own gas when it is raining sideways. Being thoughtful, thankful, kind and generous is contagious. Just as a smile is. It is hard to be grumpy at a smiling-appreciative person.

Children are full of questions which can lead to awesome teaching moments. "Mom, why are bagging up clothes out of my closet?" This has been the latest in our home. I have been going through all of our clothing because let's face it, we do not need everything we think we do. I am sure we are not the only family guilty of this. Really, do our children need 20 shirts, 10 pairs of pants, 7 sweatshirts.....the list could go on. The answer is no. This is why we are over hauling at the Buys home. It is not about who has the most stuff! So, instead of doing this when the kids are not home or napping, they are helping me out.

As we are bagging up clothes and toys (yes, toys too) I am telling them about the  resource center that the church we attend, Foothills, has. I see question in there eyes and a lack of understanding that there are families that truly do not have anything. When Lawson (6yrs) put one of his favorite pillow pets in the bag to donate, this mama teared up. He gets it. Praise God. And guess what? His brothers started doing the same thing. Coincidence, I think not. Giving is contagious, I think YES. Really, does it matter that it was a nice gift he was given. Not to me. If he is willing to give a child who has nothing, one of his special toys, so be it.

So, I encourage each and every one of you. Be contagious. Your children are watching and learning. Love and prayers!!!

Matt: 23 18-19 "You are the salt of the earth..."You are the light of the world-like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden...In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Ok, Kristen, you're blog is GOOD. Way to go on writing! I knew you had a gift ... keep it up, ok? Love love love it.

    ReplyDelete